Frontierfunflyers.org

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:43 am 

I am posting this for SAFETY purposes, and to spread the word about the almost imperceivable differences on sellers claiming to sell "Brand Name" spektrum receivers. A friend of mine bought four of these and put one in a kit he completed for me. The aircraft ranged checked fine, but after take off there was a complete loss of signal and the elevator servo went full nose down, the model was a complete loss. When we were trying to figure out what had happened he recalled that a similar situation happened to him on final with another model just 2 weeks prior, it pitched over straight into the dirt just off the runway. The common thread, a fake spektrum receiver.

There are a myriad of threads about these, and while several have had good luck, many have not. Add to that, you may have a MISSILE on your hands and it could injure somebody. I had no idea it was a fake until after the crash, and I am sharing this knowledge with anyone who will listen so that this does not happen to you. I guess the old adage of "you get what you pay for" is true in this case.

These sellers are everywhere, Ebay, RCuniverse, Rcgroups. The ones that comply with site rules will advertise:

"original Spektrum brand name", meaning the name printed on the front is Spektrum, and that's it.

"Newly Assembled" - made yesterday at the Chinese factory nearest you.

When in doubt ask these sellers if this is ORIGINAL OEM Spektrum equipment. Curious about some of the deals I saw after this, I queried several. Those that want to keep their rating with the more popular sites will answer your emails with one line answers, like "yes, it's new".

or

"brand new Spektrum", playing email semantics with you in order to get you to feel comfortable to buy.

There are slight differences between the two, thanks to Kip for taking these photos. Look closely and you will see the differences. The receiver with the bent over connectors is the fake, I did that so as not to get confused and put it in a model by mistake.

Notice that the DSM2 logo is in the wrong place, and that there is no polarity symbols near the connectors on the fake. Print is different and the wrong size, etc. It's close for sure, but not real.

I hope you found this informational, be careful.

Attachments:
672A8802-FAKE RECEIVER.jpg
672A8802-FAKE RECEIVER.jpg [ 234.91 KiB | Viewed 9390 times ]
672A8808-GOOD Receiver.jpg
672A8808-GOOD Receiver.jpg [ 167.42 KiB | Viewed 9390 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 am 

WOOOW...
it seems as though I have been dubbed as well...
New to the SPEKTRUM world... i fly FUTABA...
I had bought on line...EBAY.. several 6200 receivers with satilite receivers...
Of the 5 bought.. only one is factory... the other four are the fakes...
I wonder if the satalite receiver is any good...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:26 pm 

Many of us have had very good luck with the Orange Spektrum compatible receivers. Inexpensive and seem to work good.