Frontierfunflyers.org

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours

Post subject: Lipo fire!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:27 pm 

I've been dealing with LiPo batteries for a couple of years now and have always been aware of the fire hazard. I'd never actually seen it first hand until tonight. I just ordered a new quadcopter and it was waiting for me last night when I returned from a three week TDY. It came with a Turnigy 3S 2200mah LiPo battery. I've never actually bought any Turnigy batteries. I've been buying my LiPo batteries from Value Hobby and actually bought two 5000mah 40C 3S batteries from them for the quadcopter. But I was using the Turnigy battery that came with the copter for setting it up and test flying. I charged it at 1C initially. I noticed that it seemed a bit warmer than my other batteries do after the charge, but nothing alarming. I used it to set up the quadcopter and then flew it for about 5 minutes. I brought everything inside and took the battery off the quadcopter. It was barely warm when I was done flying. I set the battery on my kitchen counter and went to do other stuff. About an hour later, I was in my living room and I heard a loud whistle and saw smoke billowing out of the kitchen!!! The LiPo was shooting smoke and flames and sparks everywhere! I grabbed it by the cord and flung it into the metal sink. It still smoked and spewed until all three cells had ruptured and done their thing. My wife was NOT happy. I haven't even been home for 24 hours and I almost burned the house down! HA! In the end, the only damage was to my kitchen counter. It got scorched pretty badly. I'm sure it will cost me a few hundred bucks to fix it. Anybody know how to fix the damage below? :D I was kind of sick to my stomach over my complacency with these things. I need to get a safer setup for my LiPo batteries. I have quite a few of them now. I have no idea why this one did what it did. Defective maybe?

The damage to my kitchen counter in base housing. I'd rather fix it myself than have them charge me an arm and a leg to do it. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Lipo fire!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:17 am 

I feel your pain. I have managed to have three of them turn into flaming fireballs, and it is in fact quite spectacular when they go.

I also feel your pain as my wife did not forgive me for a very long time and even longer after the second. The third one however she was not around to see but there is a story behind it.

I will also say that I for one am glad you were there and household damage is limited to a countertop. Thank you for sharing, it is a good reminder to be extra careful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 am 

I've never had a lipo catch fire spontaneously, but I have tried to make one go off in my driveway. Drove a screwdriver through it and watch it sizzle and sputter like a road flare for a few minutes. First of all - and I know you now know this - do not store / charge or otherwise mess with lipo's in the house unless you are watching them! I charge mine in the garage in an ammo can sitting on top of a granite slab. By the way, I have a lot of Turnigy batteries and never had a problem with them. It's good thing you didn't leave the house or you might have had more than countertop to repair!!

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm 

Yes. I am very fortunate that I was home and that I was standing just a few feet away. It was next to a wall and under the cabinets too! It most definitely would have set something else on fire had I not been there to intervene. I am definitely going to take some precautions from now on. I have some ammo cans. I'll start there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqdtmdIANkU&list=UUP-bXYdQ7mDeD65tQC8S4FA&index=4&feature=plcp
warning> youtube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm 

Look at the top of the battery where everything is soldered. See if they did a crappy job and there was bridge of some sort ( blob of solder, charging wire touching).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:17 pm 

When the fire started, it was shooting out of the end of the battery opposite the wires.