Frontierfunflyers.org

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours

Post subject: Motor failure/broken
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:33 pm 

today i spent way too much time diagnosing a failure in a "Blue Wonder" (24g) 1500Kv motor. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4859__hexTronik_24gram_Brushless_Outrunner_1500kv.html

the problem was intermittent, so i kept looking for the cause. I did not know if the problem was in the ESC programming, the soldering job on the ESC or motor, faulty ESC, receiver, etc.

as it turns out, the failure is/was a break in one of the tiny wires between the where the wound wire left the stator to be gathered (shrink covered) with the other two wires that then go to the ESC.

I think I spent two hours working on what is (un)fortunately a fault that may be fixable (?) but even if it is i do not know why it should be. the motor cost less than $9.00. I would like to know how it could be fixed, if anyone knows. Mini-soldering? Very small connectors? ...or only rewinding. I broke off a second wire while removing the shrink covering.

Attachment:
File comment: 24g motor
broken_BW_motor-5701.jpg
broken_BW_motor-5701.jpg [ 118.47 KiB | Viewed 2066 times ]

Post subject: Re: Motor failure/broken
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:24 pm 

Steve - it looks to me like the wires were sort of crushed/crimped/ stretched and melted. For a $9 dollar motor, I would just get my order in with Hobby King real quick. Just my 2 cents worth!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 pm 

i agree that fixing it is not financially reasonable--if there was a good way to do it, i would consider trying it as practice for a time when i needed to work on a motor that is worth saving. But, i am guessing that a motor "worth saving" would not be setup in a way that allows this type of failure to happen so easily.

the engine had seen some abuse/use, and had been moved between three planes several times. now i know that i need to be more careful with the wires--and that moving a motor frequently might not (IN THE LONG RUN) be as good an idea as i had thought because of greater number of opportunities to break something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:16 pm 

Steve,
You can do a couple of things: one rewind the motor yourself http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Y_kit.html" onclick="return urlWarning(); you would only need the magnet wire. Two: you could scrape the magnet wire bare and resolder them....

Attachments:
How to wind a brushless motor 9 and 12 pole.pdf [174.27 KiB]
Downloaded 88 times

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 pm 

i may get out my tweezers etc and see if i can reconnect the wires.
thx Jay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 am 

As long as the bearings are fine and the magnets are lined up and everything is is cool, just rewind it. Get the diameter of the wire, figure out how many windings each stator has (they are all the same) then figure out what kind of winding it is WYE or DELTA. From the picture it looks like WYE. Wrap the wire around each pole, and strip the enamel off of each end and solder.

Here is some information:

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/motor_info.htm

If you get high quality wire, and wind very neatly and tightly, you will almost certainly have a more reliable motor than new. If you want to change the KV, then use more or less windings. More windings lowers the KV and less windings raises the KV which is how fast the motor turns given a specific voltage. If you add or subtract more than one winding, then you may consider using thicker or thinner wire.

Hope that helps,
schu