Frontierfunflyers.org

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours

Post subject: DLE 55 upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:42 am 

Hi everyone- I have started my Top Flite GS Mustang-(only took 12 years!!) I have a DLE55 engine for it.. Steve had mentioned there were some good mods to do to it. After some research I found the general consensus is that the piston ring is junk-good news, rings were available- bad news, Mr Frank Bowman in New Mexico retired last year, and apparently was the only source for a quality aftermarket Ring- Also the Reed block needs to be flat stoned to seal better- that I can do- ANY one know of a source for a better piston ring, or have SOME RAT HOLED?? Any other good ideas to improve this engine (Short of buying a DLA- which in the long run may be the most cost effective) Anyways, hope to make the meeting- Thanks, Dennis Miller

Post subject: Re: DLE 55 upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 am 

Like most things you read on the internet - only the squeeky wheels post for the most part. I have some experience with the smaller DLE (20cc and 30cc)engines, and find them to run perfect out of the box. My suggestion would be to mount and run yours, and see how it goes before messing with it. There are a few of these that run better with the reed block mod, but most run just fine as they come from the factory. You may have to adjust the needles after a few tanks of gas. These engines do not need a lengthy break in either. Use a decent non synthetic oil for the first gallon and fly the heck out of it. I noticed you referenced 'DLA' engines - I believe you mean 'DA' or Desert Aircraft. These are great engines, but are triple the price. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Mike Marsh